UPVC and CPVC are the modified forms of polyvinyl chlorides that find common usage due to their unique characteristics and long life span. Detailed information regarding these two and the pipe fittings is discussed further.
Pipe fittings are the components aimed at connecting two pipes. They are of two types, plastic, and brass. Moreover, based on joining, they can push fit or threaded joints. The latter is further classified into male and female thread jointing with plastic or brass threads. Pipe fittings serve the function of changing direction, size, and branching.
Pipe Fittings: Categories
The pipe fittings can be categorised into three types based on the served purpose. The fittings that terminate or extend pipes are couplings, adapters, caps, and plugs. The fittings that change direction for fluid flow are elbows or ells. The pipe fittings used to connect two or more pipes are adapter reducers, fitting reducers, flex couplings, and bushings.
Pipe Fittings: Applications
- Provides the path for transportation of fluids like chemicals and water.
- Deviates the fluid pressure, thus protecting the equipment.
- Prevents the fluid from corrosion and extreme environmental temperatures.
- Resistant to industrial and household chemicals, thus assuring the worth of investment.
Different domains that witness the usage of pipe fittings:
- Municipal for water drainage, sewer and sanitation
- Marine industry for oil and water transport
- Chemical or petrochemical industry for storage and transport of a variety of chemical compounds
- Irrigation in fields
- Highway and road construction
- Pulp and paper industry and instrumentation
- Power generation and conduction equipment, such as solar devices and electrical connectivity
What is UPVC?
UPVC is the acronym for unplasticised polyvinyl chloride. It is commonly known as rigid PVC owing to its hardness and least flexibility. UPVC pipelines are the most preferred forms of pipeline systems. They are highly chemical resistant and durable, making it capable of lasting long.
It can also withstand damp environments, has great electrical characteristics, and has the least flammability, making it a sustainable choice. UPVC fittings find wide usage based on the mentioned properties and recyclability.
- These are lightweight, which eases installation and decreases the probability of labour accidents.
- Generally used for wastewater transmissions such as in the kitchen and bathroom.
- UPVC joints or pipe fittings are water and air proof, which decreases maintenance.
- The same benefit increases exponentially when UPVC pipes are fitted due to the identical features of the same material.
- The features resist scaling and salt buildup from hard water, which decreases fluid friction and retention.
- Safe from fires. It neither catches fire nor burns in the absence of an external source.
- Additionally, burning does not release high or excessive flames, thus protecting nature and its surroundings.
- Environment friendly and cost-effective, along with requiring only one type of investment due to their longevity and least maintenance
Limitations of UPVC pipe fittings:
- Not suitable for very high temperatures
- Not suitable for outdoors due to fragile nature
- Poor resistance to mechanical shock
- High expansion coefficient
- Poor pressure-bearing capacity
- Less flexibility and hence unbendable
What is CPVC?
CPVC is the acronym for chlorinated polyvinyl chloride. Chlorination adds to flexibility and heat, alkali, and salt resistance. It adds to its applicability in geysers and related connections. The additional durability increases the lifespan as well.
- Being manufactured by the addition of chlorine, the latter preserves the pipe and protects it from degradation.
- Besides, it also acts as chemical resistant by preventing reactivity and corrosion from chemicals such as alkalis, detergents, household cleaners, salts, and solvents.
- They are pH resistant.
- Additionally, the temperature resistance is upto 93 degree Celsius.
- Suitable for outdoor and indoor plumbing requirements
- Biological resistance is evident by resisting mould, mildew, and other microbial growth generally enhanced by moist and watery areas.
- Primarily they do not burn on heating or fire, enhancing their suitability for kitchens and other areas prone to fire.
- They neither break nor crack in extreme heat or very high temperatures. Thus, increasing their applicability to solar heaters and related devices.
- The mentioned property is due to low thermal expansion and conductivity, which comes from adding chlorine to the polymeric form.
- The low conductivity makes them suitable for electrical wires where they minimise the possibility of short circuits.
- The unreactive nature leads to non-toxicity as they do not release any toxic chemicals or gases, thus becoming environment-friendly.
- High flexibility makes them withstand the changing water pressure.
- ● Lightweight and requirement of the same tools as CPVC pipes ease their installation and additional labour work.
Pipe fittings are an important component whose requirement is independent of new plumbing or drainage system installation. Among the varieties available in the market, UPVC and CPVC pipe fittings are eye-catching options owing to their many positive features. However, while buying, these requirements should be kept in mind.